Teen depression is an ever-increasing mental health condition that affects millions of teens across the United States, including those in Mississippi. In an effort to support their children, many parents ask Psycamore for tips on how to recognize the signs of depression in adolescents and what forms of treatment are most effective for depressed teens. We are here to partner with parents across Mississippi, serving as a mental health resource to play a pivotal role in supporting Mississippi teens on their journey to recovery from depression.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression in Teens
As with any mental health concern, symptoms vary from person to person. However, some common signs and symptoms of adolescent depression include:
- Persistent sadness
- Excessive irritability
- Loss of interest in hobbies, socializing, and once-loved activities
- Social withdrawal
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Changes in appetite and weight
- Lack of energy
- Insomnia or excessive sleep
- Suicidal ideation
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
If you notice these features of depression in your teen, it’s important to seek help from a professional. A local teen mental health specialist can help determine if indeed your teen is struggling with depression and can also suggest a treatment plan and ways to support your child.
Treatment for Adolescent Depression & Mental Health
Teen depression treatment is more important than ever and Psycamore strives to provide timely and effective interventions that best support the entire family. The most effective treatments for depression in youths, specifically teens depend largely upon the individual. With that said, many teen mental health programs utilize a similar treatment plan involving several elements. The process of treating teen depression begins with an accurate diagnosis by an experienced mental health clinician. At Psycamore, we then create a customized treatment plan for your teen based on his/her presenting symptoms and specific needs. The goal of treating teen depression is to go beyond the symptoms to discover and treat the root cause, as well as teaching the youth coping skills and ways to combat their depression. This is accomplished by utilizing a variety of common methods for treating depression in adolescents.
- Therapy and counseling, including individual therapy and perhaps group counseling sessions
- Parent education on creating a supportive environment at home
- Social activities that involve a strong support network
- Healthy lifestyle choices such as a nutritious diet, a healthy sleep routine, and regular physical activity
- Mindfulness and grounding activities
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Family therapy sessions to address family dynamics that contribute to depression
- Medication management, as in some situations medication can assist in recovery from depression
Teen Mental Health Facility Near Me
It can be incredibly painful to watch your teen struggle with depression and it’s even more difficult for your child who is facing depression. It’s important to know that your child will benefit from professional treatment. Psycamore offers comprehensive care and a wide range of therapeutic services designed to treat teen depression for our valued patients in Mississippi. Reach out to Psycamore today for a helping hand on the path to healing.